Just want to give a more detailed review of the Shu Uemura Mousse Foundation which I have been trying out this week. I had earlier blogged about the product:
and in this entry, I will be sharing my thoughts on the application, longetivity and other tips and tricks with regards to this foundation.
This picture shows the foundation at the end of a 8 hour day. I was so busy, I didn't have time to properly blot my face at all. Hence you can see the actual OILY sheen of my face. However, the foundation did not slide off my face. You will see what I mean, after I blot my face.
Note: I did not touch up my face [with powder] after blotting. As you can see, my face looks 'powdery' again... freshen up. I have been getting questions on how to keep your face shine-free, or keep your makeup lasting throughout the hot humid day, I must say, facial blotters are a MUST. Even if you don't have any makeup products to touch up with, facial blotters will go a long way to keep your makeup looking fresh, without having to pile on another layer of makeup.
And the following set of pictures taken a couple of days later [how convenient that I can take semi-decent pics with my cellphone throughout the day---super useful when I am testing out foundations], you can see how the mousse foundation lasts throughout the day.
Do take note I work in a humid non air-conditioned place for a good part of the day. Any makeup I use has to make it through sweating and heat, and not slide off my face. We know how horribly hot it has been the past couple of weeks, and I must say, this foundation holds up very well indeed.
I apply my makeup at about 6.30am in the morning.
- I apply this foundation with my fingers, though it is recommended to use a sponge to blend the product. And I only blend each area at a time, fairly quickly. The texture of the foundation is very light, and the mousse 'dissolves' into a liquidy texture, which dries quite fast - so you need to blend very quickly, and that is why I only blend each part of the face at a time.
- I also prefer to combine this foundation with a more emoilient primer, like the Shiseido White Lucent Control Base. Because this primer is creamier, it helps me to blend the mousse foundation better. I have tried it with the UV mousse base but found the combination too drying for me. And the combination looks a little cakey even though the two mousse products are supposed to be very light. I am guessing if you have very oily skin, then you will really like this mousse foundation. The light as air, and 'dry' texture will be good to counter oily skin.
- I am still getting the hang of how much of a mousse ball I need to use on my face. Because the mousse will 'expand' larger, you are dispensing more product than you think, My suggestion is that you pump a tiny amount each time, and use more if you need to, instead of risking wastage if you are heavy handed in pumping out the foundation. I think an egg sized amount is just about enough for whole face and if you need a tiny more for more coverage.
Overall texture & finish
- Before setting the foundation, it already looks quite matte. This is because this is not like usual liquid foundations which are 'creamier'. In fact, you might even want to skip powdering your face. But I always like to 'seal' my foundation with some powder. And I find that the less powder you use, the better - otherwise, cakey patches will appear. Esp on porous areas, like above the lips. I set this foundation with the setting of my NARS loose powder - and I really just use a tiny bit of powder.
- Foundation has buildable light-medium coverage. It evens out my whole face with just one thin layer - smooth, natural, matte finish. I sometimes apply a second layer over areas which are spotty.
- Comparing this to other similar foundations, such as the Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua, they have the same amount of coverage. But the Shu Uemura mousse is more matte, less emoilient, needs quick blending -- the Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua blends smoothly into your skin easily, gives a nice natural radiant glow to your skin. If you are a fan of matte finish foundation, or have very oily skin, you will love the Shu Uemura mousse foundation more.
- This mousse foundation lasts me a good 8 - 10 hours of workday. That's pretty impressive.
Overall, I highly recommend this foundation
- if you want something that withstands our humidity,
- if you have oily skin,
- if you want long lasting matte foundation [still need to blot every 4 hours or so].
I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, leave them in the comments below.
When: June at Shu Uemura counters
How much: S$78
Available in 5 shades.
Hope this has been helpful, and thanks for looking!